Tendons are strong, thick fibrous tissue that connects muscle to bone, and those in the foot play a major stabilizing and functional role. A lot of foot and ankle pain comes from injury to these tendons, which can lead to an inflammatory condition called tendinitis.
What causes tendinitis?
- Trauma – A strong force applied to the tendons in the foot from a fall or other injury can lead to pain and inflammation.
- Overuse – Repeated stress on the tendon through overstretching or overexertion can lead to tendinitis
- Abnormal foot mechanics – Poor foot structure or mechanics such as flat feet can apply excessive stress on the tendons.
What are the different kinds of tendinitis?
All of these forms of tendinitis typically cause pain, inflammation, and decrease in motion in the area.
- Achilles tendinitis causes pain in the calf and ankle during pushing off movement like walking and jumping.
- Anterior tibial tendinitis affects the front part of the foot.
- Posterior tibial tendinitis causes pain on the inside of the foot and ankle.
- Peroneal tendinitis affects the outside and back of the ankle.
- Extensor tendinitis causes pain on the top of the foot when toes are pulled back.
How can they be treated?
For most tendinitis cases, the following may be recommended for treatment:
As with any foot or ankle injury, any pain or discomfort should be addressed as quickly as possible by consulting with an experienced board-certified podiatrist. Dr. Marc Singer and his dedicated staff have been providing high quality individualized foot and ankle care in the Baltimore County area for decades. Dr. Singer understands the importance of avoiding unnecessary surgery, so Marc Singer, DPM PA provides state-of-the-art technologies like the MLS laser and the TOPAZ device to treat conditions conservatively. From sports injuries, chronic heel pain, skin problems, nail issues, joint pain, to diabetic foot care, Dr. Singer can help you find relief from pain and get you back on your feet! Please contact our offices in Pikesville and Middle River today to schedule an appointment!